Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Why the Jay-Z / Wizards / Soulja Boy story is bad for Cavs fans.



I often read Henry Adaso's Hip-Hop posts on About.com. He recently posted this story about Jay-Z's latest participation in the Cavs vs. Wizards series. Therein, he notes the following line from the recent underground Jay-Z track where Hova references LeBron: "Who the f*ck is overrated? If anything, they underpaid him..."

Cavs fans have heard the rumbling for ages:
- Jay and LeBron's long time public friendship
- LeBron's use of the Roc-A-Fella dynasty hand gesture
- LeBron's contractual terms that (allegedly?) give him a nice bonus if he plays in New York
- LeBron's fitted Yankee cap during the Cleveland vs. New York American League playoff series
- LeBron's pinstripe shoes

And now you've got this to add to the list. Jay-Z knows what he is saying.

Translation:
"If anything, they underpaid him"
=
"When LeBron's contract runs out with the Cavs, please know that I'll take advantage of (a) my wealth, (b) my friendship with LeBron and (c) the fact that my team will be in Brooklyn, and I'll bring LeBron to the Big Apple where he will make more money than Cleveland (and Usher) can pay him - holla at ya boy."

Is Stern willing to get into the business of deciphering rap lyrics to find evidence of tampering? If so, I nominate myself for the job.

This is not a groundbreaking development. The writing has been on the wall for a while. This is just another nugget of evidence to prove that it is not just our imaginations. I've enjoyed watching LeBron on local broadcasts here in Ohio for many years. I better continue to do so while I can.

No comments: